Tuesday 23 July 2013

Thunder Storms

I had been ready to take images of the impending storms before I went to bed but they hadn't arrived. Instead in the Forest of Dean they arrived around 4am on Tuesday 23rd July

I couldn't really set a good composure because I was in the porch at the front of the house to protect my equipment from the rain. 

On a tripod with remote release in manual focus set to infinity long exposures were just not working, the brightness of the lightening was over exposing my images, it made night look like day. Through quick experimentation I found this combination at the time the most successful:

Aperture Priority: F/8
ISO: 8000 (yes 8000)
Shutter Speed: set by the camera at 1/20

I was using a D700. Issues as mentioned above were composition, exposure of lightening working in the dark, actually capturing a bolt of lightening rather than the light of one out of shot and having no experience of photographing lightening in the past.

The big lesson I learnt here was that if something is not working don't be afraid to experiment. This I did working as fast as I could.

This is best image I produced which I think made up for getting out of bed at 4am:


No comments:

Post a Comment