Sunday 7 July 2013

TAOP - Light Exercise: Concentrating Light

This exercise was about creating a strong spotlight effect. I used the cardboard tube that the white card I bought for the previous exercise arrived in

Image 1

I've attached the snoot to the flash I've added on top of the camera, its easy to to see the problem I have and also what my snoot looks like :D


Image 3
For the second image I cut the cardboard makeshift snoot in half and specifically lit the note book. White paper has caused the light to be strongly reflected back. However with big bold text on the notebook a specific message could be passed back to the image viewer


Image 3
A small adjustment to the snoot and I can specifically light a different element of the image, change the image's subject and direct the viewer to an alternate subject I want them to first look at in the image. 


Exercise Learnings
a) a man made snoot created from discarded packaging material can be every bit as effective as one bought from a photography shop

b) length of snoot and length of focal length are considerations if the snoot is not wanted in the final image, see image one

c) using a snoot and focusing the light specifically can mean the rest of the image is not lit quite right, I feel this is the case with image 3. Options are to use a second light source or to use layers in Adobe Photoshop and correct the underexposed elements in the image and blend the layers

d) I think this will be another interesting element for me to experiment in for portraits, even to just try to creating the lighting in the image of Dorothy Norman in 1935 by Alfred Stieglitz. The image Michael Freeman has used in his course notes is the 7th in the top row of image found in this link. Its clear that this model appears to be a favourite of Stieglitz, as can be seen in this series of images:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Dorothy+Norman+in+1935+by+Alfred+Stieglitz&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nInZUdCAJqqa0QWCrIDQCg&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1141&bih=639




No comments:

Post a Comment