Sunday 7 July 2013

TAOP - Assignment Four - Applying Lighting Techniques


TAOP - Assignment Four - Applying Lighting Techniques


The objective of this assignment is to demonstrate lighting techniques that I have experimented with and learnt as part of this section of the course to bring out different the physical properties of the same subject.
I have used wooden carving / statuette of 2 cats standing upright and have used different lighting to display the following qualities of the subject:


 - Shape
 -    Form
 - Texture
 -    Colour


In addition to the course notes and experiments I performed as part of the exercises in the Light section of the module I have also used the following references for further information and knowledge:

1. Book - The Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe McNally
2.  Book – Lighting for Portrait Photography by Steve Bavister
3. Internet – Emphasise Shape and Form in Macro Photography by Thomas Clark:

4. Internet – Photography lighting technique to show texture by Sasha Gitin:

5.     Internet – False Color Technique by Lee Varis:
http://blog.varis.com/2013/05/11/false-color-technique/


Shape – Image 1

For this image I've created a high key image to contrast the dark wood of the sculpture against the white background and white base.
In all my shape and form images I've wanted to keep a definitive and tangible base upon which the statue sits. This is important to me as I've wanted to create a stable image of the sculpture and avoid it looking as if it’s falling through the frame. I've achieved this by using a white sheet background and white card on a stool - e.g. two different materials that would catch the light differently. For this high image I've created a fairly large gap between the sculpture and the background so that using a wide aperture will put the background.
I've used a remotely controlled flash gun with a simple diffuser to spread and soften the light. To help create the high key look I've boosted the flash to +3ev and I've also over exposed the image by 2 stops. I experimented both adjust the flash power and the in camera over exposure and most importantly adjusted one item at a time. I did also slightly adjust the exposure in post production.
The flash was placed to the left of the camera and slightly below and behind the subject. I’ve wanted to avoid a 100% black silhouetted type subject so that it can still be recognised but at the same time focus the viewer on the flowing lines and shape of the image through the  contrast of light and dark


Shape – Image 2

I set out to create a lower key image in contrast to the first. I’ve created a 2 foot snoot from a cardboard roll and with the camera on a tripod and using a remote I’ve hand held a remote flash triggered from the camera.
The flash and snoot combination were hand held (flash in left hand and remote in the right hand) and is positioned high and above to the left of the subject and slightly behind. Folding the edge of the white card on the right has bounced back some of the light. This has lit the inside oval shape within the sculpture which contrasts well with the darker face toward which the camera and viewer are facing. This adds further shape to the image in both its profile and the oval hole however in using different light both in its focus and its colour (caused by the long brown cardboard tube).
Using light in this way I believe I have expressed the shape of the sculpture but using a lower key lighting effect created a much softer image.


Form – Image 1


To enable the form of a subject to be displayed within a photograph it needs to be 3 dimensional. In a 2 dimensional photograph this is always difficult. Direct light “contre jour” with the subject between or front lit will create a very flat subject and so an image of a subject without form.
I have turned the sculpture to a 45 degree angle to allow the light to both light parts of it as well as parts in shadow.
Using diffused lighting at the side of the image and low I have created soft lighting that has emphasised the form of the subject through contrast as the light reflects in different ways from the subject and also creates varying shadow. I have experimented moving the flash with diffuser both closer and away from the subject until I have been able to create a shadow on the white card that the subject sits on. This dark shadow also contrasts with the card and because the light is pointed at a different angle to the camera the resulting shadow is a different shape to what the camera and viewer is seeing. This further reveals to the viewer that the subject has 3 dimensional properties and its form is further emphasised.


Form – Image 2


Using the same subject position but a different lighting position the form of the wooden sculpture is revealed in a different way. I've used the diffuser on a remote flash from almost centrally above the sculpture of the cats and have varied the height of the flash to vary the softness of the shadow.
Slight adjustments of the light have enabled me to almost paint with the light so the distinctly carved bottom half of the cat in the foreground is a different colour to the top half. Using the light in this way the tail of the foreground cat on its left is now much more distinct and visible than in the image above. Its curved shape is now also more visible and emphasised by the tail
The left leg of the bigger cat behind the smaller cat is now also much more distinct.
The light is above the subject and creates a smaller shadow, much like the sun will at mid-day. This shape of the shadow further helps show the 3D form of the subject


Texture – Image 1


The full size image is required to appreciate the texture of the wood grain in this image. I have deliberately used a wide aperture and a single focus point so that the head of larger cat is the focus point. The rest of the cat’s body is slightly of focus due to the small depth of field.
In doing this I hope that the viewer’s eye is drawn up the image to the larger cat’s head. Use diffused light hand held across the top of the statue I've attempted to capture within the image the grain of the wood and its slight undulations made more obvious by very small shadows within the pits of the wood. From my research I have learnt how light aimed across a subject with undulations will help highlight the variations with shadows. I read this is best created with the light behind the subject so the shadows fall toward the camera. However I found by experiment moving the light around that in this case it appeared to be best created with light across the subject.


Texture – Image 2


I've used the widest aperture my lens allows and focused just below on the left ear of the largest cat. This has enabled me to put out of focus the elements that I don’t want the viewer to look at and instead focus directly on the elements in focus, the grain of the wood.
This time I've moved the light to the right of the subject and aimed this across the face of the cat. A different lower camera angle than the earlier image gives a slightly different perspective, the small depth of field gives a nice soft focus to the outside shape of the cat’s head and further draws the viewer into the centre of the head and the point of focus.


Colour – Image 1


I've used a handmade snoot from cardboard and attached this to my flash. Before doing this I've slid over the flash gun’s own diffuser. My intention was to create the direct light that can be achieved with a snoot but for this light to be soft and look like dappled light. This I envisaged would vary the colour of the wooden statue as some elements were lit and some were not.

I was very pleased with lighting effect I created and this is something I intend to experiment further with a later time with portrait images. I suspect there is also further experimentation to be had with adding elements like strips across the end of the snoot.

The softer light has enabled softer colour variations of the subject without distinct colour changes


Colour – Image 2


I've again used the home-made cardboard snoot and hand held the flash and moved the light around until I've been able to successfully isolate the cat’s head on the right with the light.
The snoot was aimed high to the left and slightly on front of the statue
This has lightened the colour of the wood in comparison to the rest of the statue and shows a contrast of colour. I am a little bit concerned at the reflection of the light that has caught the leading edge of the left hand cat’s face and of the left ear (as we look) of the cat to the right. I think I may have been able to correct this creating a layer under exposing these elements and bring these into the final image. However I decided my post processing skills were not quite up to this and preferred the image as was captured.
The stronger light in this image compared to the earlier image has created a stronger colour difference of the taller cat’s head compared to the rest of the statue.


Some image experiments I didn't use for my Assignment

I'm sure like most photographers not all pre-visualisations / camera techniques come off and I'm no exception. I had a lot more than these but they act as some examples of my critique process. Digital photography allows much more experimentation and instant review of images. If you are prepared to experiment and make mistakes then learning and understanding can sometimes be accelerated:


This image was going to be used for form but the subject being backlit  flatted the image, 2d rather than 3d


The lighting was good for firm but my composition of the image wasn't what I wanted



Attempting to create a high key image for shape and experimenting with flash exposure and in camera exposure, in this instance the subject is too washed out and over exposed, I wanted to put the subject into almost silhouette


The lighting in terms of strength was good but the light coverage of the subject was not right and the head was not lit for the tallest cat

Assignment  Learning

a) Careful and precise use of light can enable a single object to reveal multiple qualities of the subject

b) Minor changes such as height and proximity of the light to the subject can create different depth and shadow to a subject as well as give it a 3 dimensional or 2 dimensional perspective subject to the visualisation of the photographer

c) Light can be used to alter the colour of a subject through different strengths of light. Of course this can be used using flash gels but simple use of light coverage and strength can vary colour also

d) Light can be used to isolate elements of the subject, this can be powerful if for instance wanting to say isolate a subject's eyes

e) Whilst professional light shaping tools can be expensive home made ones can be cheap. I found by cardboard snoot very helpful and fun to experiment with

f) I found Light one of the most interest elements of the course so far and also one of the most challenging but at the same time fun. 

g) It may be important to practise and experiment with light on still life since this may not be possible or acceptable to the subject if doing human or pet portraiture

h) Use of a single light source is challenging, use of two light sources I think will be much more difficult

i) Soft light is much more flattering to a subject and this could be an important aspect when taking portrait images using light

j) There are large number of reference sites to use for light!



No comments:

Post a Comment