Sunday 28 July 2013

TAOP - N & I - Exercise: Juxtaposition

Exercise: Juxtaposition


Web definitions
the act of positioning close together (or side by side); "it is the result of the juxtaposition of contrasting colours".

The exercise is to put together two elements to suggest a relationship is the mainstay of the illustration. 

When ever I see a person using a sharp knife I always worry that they may injure themselves. Watching a knife in action in the hands of a loved one gave me the idea of using a knife and illustrating a relationship...in this case an unfortunate incident and a likely solution:



I've laid the items out in this way to create angles as diagonal lines help create energy in an image which can be important in a still life type of image.

I've attempted to create a relationship between the knife as the cause of an injury and the plaster as the solution. Some ketchup has been added to help imply an injury caused by the knife.

I've used my trusty cardboard snoot attached to remote flash hand held to make a creative lighting effect from high to the left so as to draw the viewer straight to the two elements in juxtaposition: the plasters and the knife.

It took multiple images to get the lighting how I wanted it which was soft but to help enable isolation of the elements I wanted first viewed

I've detailed below some images created that I didn't get quite right:

No light  - though the relationship exists between knife and plaster the eye is allowed to navigate the full image where as I wanted to direct the viewer's eye.


I've not positioned the light on the element I want lit


The lighting position in terms if elements in the image being lit is what I wanted but its a little too strong. I softened the light buy moving it higher and therefore weaker to soften and spread the light - this is shown in the first image and the top of this blog. The image has been cropped slightly to avoid wasted space

This was an interesting exercise and I think still life photographed in such a way can be very powerful and the relationships created can vary considerably. The elements within the image can be very simple and I think that sometimes simple can give the stronger message

No comments:

Post a Comment