Saturday 7 June 2014

DPP Part 4 - Reality and Intervention - Exercise 4 - Addition

This exercise requires the addition of 2 elements of an image where one image is exposed for the landscape and one image is exposed for the sky.

Whilst the exercise details manual merging it also allows the use of modern software tools such as Photomatix to perform an exposure blending of two images.

I've taken 2 images. I've metered first for the sky and then for the landscape giving me to exposures correct for sky and landscape. I've then set my camera to manual mode on the tripod and taken 2 images using the exposure settings I gained.

Here are the two images:

F/8 1/400 seconds exposed for the sky:



As expected, exposing for the sky will under exposure the landscape



F/8 1/60 seconds


Again, exposing for the landscape will over expose the sky.


I've now opened Photomatix and combined them:




The final result:

I think my original image exposed for the sky was in fact over exposed as I appear to have lost detail

Given the its the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings I have added a fused image taken from a set on the Huffington Post website which can be found here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/06/d-day-landing-sites-pictures_n_5458026.html

I find this set rather fascinating as it demonstrates the imagery of the D-Day Landings at the time the mono image was taken and fuses this with a current image of the same location:


Its clearly obvious to everyone its 2 different images from different time periods but is a good example of what is an acceptable changed image. This image is for me the best of the set and demonstrates how life does go on but we can wonder how different it might be if wasn't for the sacrifices of many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment