Wednesday 7 August 2013

TAOP - My Experiences and My Conclusions

TAOP - My Experiences and My Conclusions


Well its been over a year since I started TAOP and can still remember the excitement at unwrapping the contents.

At the start I found the process overwhelming and the setting up of a blog quite a strange thing. If I look back at my image making at the start of the course to now I can see an improvement. However the improvement is not just in the visible images but in the invisible in so far as my understanding has vastly improved. I have a better idea how to create a better image than I would have before, I feel I can look at an image and see why its good, I can critique my own work - essential if I am to improve and essential to set higher standards.

At times I found the course tough and sometimes a bit tiresome but I realise its all the elements that I needed to learn, revisit and improved. However what is has done is to challenge me...challenge my thinking, challenge my boundaries and challenge me to move out of my comfort zone.

I feel now much more comfortable with the layout of the course, what I need to do and how I approach it. I have become comfortable with my blogging and the process of self critique. I hope that this now means I can give greater focus to the future courses.

As a relatively new starter to photography but a mature student my ambition at the start of the degree was to transform my approach from taking photographs to creating photographs. I understand how stories, emotions etc can be conveyed to the viewer. I've also learnt that a good image is not always taking an image of the whole, this can also sometimes be an image of a part.

My job means I work away from home and this means for 99% I am unable to take my camera equipment with me, weekends become more precious and attendance at galleries will be limited. However this doesn't stop me using the internet to broaden my knowledge, skills and awareness of photographic styles; this I need to do more and also express in my blog its impact and how it may influence me, positively or negatively. My local profile as a photographer is quite interesting - publication in the local paper, images created for people, word of mouth, observation and comments on my work....its all been very welcome and inspiring

So having now submitted TAOP for formal assessment I begin DPP with more knowledge than when I started TAOP but I am also expecting the same or greater challenge in my photography, creation, interpretation.

My journey continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment