Saturday 3 August 2013

TAOP - Books I've read as part of this module

Books I've read or am reading as part of the TAOP

My tutor mentioned that I did not appear to have read / given feedback on any books that I'd read, particularly those recommended as essential reading for this year of learning.

Well I definitely bought / had bought for me a number of essential reading books and in addition supplemented this with additional books either directly related to TAOP or books regarding photography subjects I have an interest in.

I wasn't sure whether to refer to elements I've read whilst doing the course or at the end of the module. In hindsight I think I should of:

a) referenced better elements I read up on as part of an exercise and detailed how it helped / influenced me  / confused me

b) created a bibliography as a single post about the books I referenced plus give a view of how they influenced me and what I thought in general. Perhaps create a section at the start of my blog for each module and add to it as I go along

Of course with books some get read cover to cover, some started and not completely finished and some used as reference to dive in and out of.

For my next module, DPP, I will endeavour to do this. I think its one thing doing the reading, but another to explain how its affected my photography, how I've used the knowledge and overall what I've learnt.

Images of my books I've read or am reading:











I'll detail below a small overview of each:

The Photographer's Eye - Michael Freeman
I've read this book cover to cover and refer back to elements. Its been my companion through the module TAOP and clearly the module is structured around the book, or vice versa.

I found this book very easy to read, lots of images to example thoughts and statements. Michael seems to have an easy writing style and certainly I enjoyed it. My view of good image at the start of reading this book was very quickly changed and I have found I appreciate photographs more through reading and I understand more what the photographer has done and why and in some cases read the visual language within the image. From the books I've read so far this would be the first I'd recommend to anyone starting photography.

The Photograph - Graham Clarke
This came free with TAOP and I'm not sure if this a reference book or a book to read from cover to cover. I'm about half-way through and in complete contrast to Freeman's book, at least for me, it appears poorly written and does not engage the reader where as the information the author is trying to convey is so interesting. I feel the book has been written detailing a lot of information and a lot of thought and work has gone into this but nothing at all invested in the writing style. Its a shame because this makes me struggle when reading it.

It could all be of course because I'm either not intellectual enough and that this type of information is difficult to convey. Its a shame because this book could be so much more. I will invest further time with this book.

Light Science & Magic - Hinter, Biver and Fuqua
In complete contrast to the above book the layout is so fresh and engaging. There is so much information here that sometimes it takes several times to read and sink but there is enough to read it once, try it, review the results then check back. I've not read this cover to cover more picked out elements. I feel its a book I will always use and refer to. It's clever because it describes the process, shows the results and also shows diagrams of the positions and items used. Its a very good book.

The Hot Shoe Diaries - Joe McNally
I'm about a 1/3 of the way through this and I do like McNally's writing style, perhaps akin to Scott Kelby. very engaging, doesn't bore you with very technical explanations and makes it interesting. I feel empowered and skilled when I read up on elements Joe describes. One of the good thing Joe does is that he doesn't make lighting a surgical process, more so encourages experimentation. I will get back to reading all of this and in addition use it as a reference book

Photography: A Cultural History - Mary Warner Marien
Though I've not got more than 25% through this its a much easier read than The Photograph. Its a bigger and heavier book than Clarke's yet I would rather struggle with this and carry it with me as I find it more enjoyable. I've not yet completed TAOP and perhaps my understanding and insight is not yet at a level that Clarke's book can really touch. However I think Marien's book to be the better when compared to Clarke's though I note I've to read these 2 books completely.

The Essential Colour Manual for Photographers - Chris Rutter
This was a difficult book to get hold of and it was bough second hand.

I found this to be an excellent book and I'm surprised its not on the list of essential reading (Mr Freeman if you haven't read this please do). It mixes explanation with images and digital post processing techniques. It covers a very wide area and the way information is conveyed, process explained make it very easier to read and enjoy - and most of all understand.

It possibly needs bringing up to date but I've really enjoyed it

Digital Infrared Photography - Cyrill Harnishmacher
A very kind lady Norma Bellini saw a post I made on one of the Flickr OCA discussion forums where I requested advice regarding books about IR, I couldn't find any that were really any good. Norma is well known to the OCA and has now completed her degree. Within this lengthy blog below is some information regrading how Norma kindly sent me 4 books on IR, we still keep in touch.
http://warrenjonesphotography.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2013-05-06T19:29:00%2B01:00&max-results=7&reverse-paginate=true

I have an interest in IR photography and this will continue and no doubt used for exercise I think it may fit. 

In terms of the book its a good book explaining IR, IR technique and post processing. I think it possibly tries to cover a wide area, I use a converted camera and I want to know more about using a camera like this, more on technique and more on processing. Others who use filters may same the same but want more explanation and help using external filters. I have read this start to finsig and I will progress through the others sent me. It has some good information and great images and it does leave you inspired to try new things.

Understanding Close-Up Photography - Bryan Petersen
This is an excellent book full of large, great and inspiring images. I have used many of his techniques and suggestions in different parts of the TAOP including assignment work

Bryan has an excellent writing style, I need to look up more of his books. He comes across very enthusiastic, explains thing well and has style of teaching that I find inspiring, fun and interesting. He writes as if he is your buddy standing next you giving you tips and pointers

I have read this book at least twice and refer back to it sometimes to just enjoy the images. This is a favourite book of mine and I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in Macro or Close-up Photography.

I've also seen some of his tutorial videos on you tube and he comes across in the same enthusiastic way. Things are made simple and enjoyable through his writing, I cant praise this book enough. I have used some of his suggestions and inspirations in Assignment 3 - Colour

Filters - Lee Frost
This is really aimed film cameras with external filters so could be considered out of date and out of touch with digital photography. However it details many principles that are relevant to digital photography and whilst I'm unlikely to be screw on colour filters for my lenses I feel more educated around filters and how I can use these when post processing images.

There are some good images in this book and I will refer to this more; I will certainly refer to this book when doing the DPP module when I hope to experiment more with post processing

Mastering the D700 - Young and Johnson
I've had this a number of years and yet not read it from cover to cover. I have read at least the first half the rest I reference from the appendix. I've found with my camera that as I've learnt more and used the camera more that I am able to do more things with camera e.g. aperture and shutter speed creativity, use the histogram, use a single focus point, half press for focus on eyes doing a portrait then recompose and fully press shutter, create sets of images using bracketing and make HDR type images. When I bought the camera I made a concious decision to buy something that was far beyond my current skill set yet I could use it and progress. This is exactly what has happened. This book has been like a bible for me and its always used. Its very thorough, perhaps encyclopaedic  but its makes information and use of the camera so much easier than using the manual that came with the camera.

I think there are many books of a similar nature but I've found this book very helpful and is a companion as mu photography skills improve and when I want to learn how to do more things








No comments:

Post a Comment