Tuesday 27 May 2014

Chimping - Love it or Loathe it but isn't it part of normal workflow?

A conversation between a few friends started on the subject of "chimping".

What is chimping? Apparently its performed by the amateur digital photographer regularly looking at each image doing a chimpanzee impression "ooh, ooh ooh" in the self proclaim or self back slapping.

The pro's say it distinguishes the pro from the amateur, the serious  amateur says it distinguishes the serious amateur from the amateur.

Hey, hang on a minute....I'm taking images in the digital world and my camera has an LCD on the back that allows me to check my images. Isn't it a wise person who chimps his images on location to review focus etc rather than waiting until they get home and finding a problem when its too late? Don't the studio pro's have their camera wired up to a great big screen where the assistant checks focus, lighting shadow etc?

My experiences as a wedding photographer reaffirmed my mid-shoot workflow to do this for formal images. At terms it allowed me to check focus and ensure I re-shot images where one of the subjects may have closed / have closed their eyes. In the same way as my tutor explained, reportage images in difference to the formal images beg for spontaneity and chimping may mean you miss the next opportunity. Everything has its place I feel

Do I care if I chimp, no I don't. Do i care if I receive a smug look from a pro at an outdoor event I may be shooting at if he sees me chimping, no I don't. Why, because its part of my workflow and increase my chances of creating the image I intended.

HOWEVER chimping should not be allowed to dominate your photography, interrupt your creativity or reduce your capture of images.

My view is that whilst its adding to your photography work flow then continue. If someone gives you a knowing look and its because they are regularly producing great images avoiding the need to chimp so frequently then great, they've probably earned it having the ability to regularly shoot great images and are much more skilled than I

For me all the time it aids my photography and doesn't restrict me then I'll continue but I'll always save my "ooh, ooh, ooh" self congratulations for when someone recognises the intent in the image I've created. That will always be when the images is on a screen or in print and even then my developing critical eye will no doubt be looking for ways to improve the capture

No comments:

Post a Comment