Tuesday 12 November 2013

Cloud Storage

Cloud Storage

My normal workflow is to download my images off the card from camera via a card reader onto my PC. 

I have an automated weekly back-up of my images onto an external hard-drive in case the PC's internal drive fails. I had thought about buying a 2nd external hard-drive and alternating the storage of these at an off-site location but there was still the danger of losing images, this was becoming even more important as I progress my photographic degree studies.

Cloud storage then become the obvious choice. I performed a lot of research and given the reviews I chose JustCloud. One point to make here is that on attempting to leave the website the price just kept reducing. No doubt a marketing ploy but I could have accepted the original price, I think I got 70% off. 

My problem then was the 120GB of data I had, mostly images, to upload over an ADSL2 line. Well its taken 4 weeks of running my PC 24x7. Upload speeds are always slower than downloads. However now the data is up my PC when on runs a daily back-up to the cloud. This makes me feel safer about my data and precious images so I'm glad its done. Subsequent back-ups are incremental so I don't notice this.

If it helps anyone make a choice then cloud storage is a good idea and with regard to my personal choice I would say there customer service is 1st class and many other companies with customers should take note of what they do to look after their customers

Photographic images, and all data, if lost are irreplaceable. Whilst the chances of losing an internal drive and external hard-drive may be unlikely, think of cloud storage as insurance. how much you want to pay my depend on how valuable your data is

No comments:

Post a Comment