Monday 17 September 2012

Consistent Processing of Images - Monitor Settings

Consistent Processing of Images

When I started TAOP I did notice what appeared to be some slight inconsistencies between images that I processed

I thought this could be down to the calibration of my monitor for which I had used some simple on-line and free methods for basic calibration.

In addition, depending where your monitor sits and the natural light and artificial light levels and their variation throughout the day it is possible if processing say the same image in the morning, afternoon and evening even with a calibrated monitor it could result in differing results as the lighting you are viewing the monitor in could change.

So my requirements were:

a) to calibrate my monitor (and recalibrate on a regular basis)
b) to have some way of adjusting the monitors display in relation to the changing light levels I'm working in.

Well I short listed a number of options through on-line research and settled on ColorMunki Display. Whilst not cheap it now allows me to:

a) calibrate my monitor then prompt for a regular calibration. I've set mine to once a week
b) adjust the monitor display in relation to the light levels in which I'm working. I've set mine to one every 30 minutes

Having set this up I note the initial calibration resulted in a slightly darker screen and perhaps slightly warmer colours from what I had it initially set to. The result of this is that when processing images I can ensure I have a consistent image produced and one that adjusts to changing lighting conditions. This I am now pleased with.

The weekly calibration takes 6 minutes and the regular adjustment for lighting occurs without you being impacted

My next test will be to send of some images for printing and then compare the prints to what I have on my screen. At the moment though the colours displayed on my monitor using a printers jpg do now seem to also match the test card they sent me.

For people working on multiple processing machines e.g. say 2 different PC monitors or 1 PC and 1 Laptop they need to be aware that a single image displayed on both could be different thus processing required to achieve what appears right on both could show as being different processed on different machines but both viewed on one and no doubt if printed.

I'm hoping that this now ensures consistent processing of my images on my PC / Monitor. Its not a cheap option but doing this helps ensure my final product leans more toward perfect rather than away from it

Ultimately each individual may value different elements from the available calibration tools this product met my requirements. In either case performing some kind of monitor calibration at a regular frequency should be seen as a good activity to participate in.

No comments:

Post a Comment