Monday 29 December 2014

David Hurn and Bill Jay, "On Being a Photographer"

Maria Short in her book Context and Narrative mentions a very apt quote from the book 
 "On Being a Photographer":

"Photographers should actively look for ideas, attitudes, images, influences from the very best photographers of all ages. You cannot learn in a vacuum. The whole history of photography is a free and open treasure trove of inspiration. It would be masochistic to deny its riches and usefulness".

I think that perhaps I have not used this resource fully until recently. Its something I do need to explore and embrace more to improve my photography. My recent formal assessment of Digital Photographic Practice complemented my technical skills and as TAOP formal assessment also mentioned, I do not appear to evidence much risk taking. I think for People and Place I will attempt to do this, at least much more than I have so far


References
Short, Maria (2011). Context and Narrative. SA: AVA Publishing. p20-23.
Hurn, Davd & Jay, Bill (1997). On Being a Photographer. Lenswork Publishing; 3rd Edition 

No comments:

Post a Comment