Monday 4 August 2014

Art Exhibition in Gloucester

I attended an art exhibition in Gloucester College by students doing a Foundation diploma in Art and Design which is a post A-Level course.

What fascinated me was the diversity between the works of the artists and some of the creative ideas were fantastic. It was possible to see how their work in some cases had evolved as an idea formed and then become worked on where the student appears to continue along a creative path exploring, learning and exploring further.

I think it impossible that the camera images I captured really reflect the skills in the pieces that had been created but below I have posted some of the images and I've added some commentary regarding the type of work created and some feedback from some of the students I spoke to. There were no restrictions on photography but of course I am unable to sell any images taken and was OK to publish them in my own art blog.

One talented artist used Ultra Violet paints and created images that were displayed in an enclosed almost black area with just a UV light. The effect it gave the images were amazing. I was so impressed that I actually offered and purchased 2 pieces of her work but I am now left with challenging of displaying artwork at home using a UV light which seems almost as challenging as taking these images in the darkened room. As part of TAOP and DPP I believe I am now much more confident in using ISO and using the widest aperture I could, since I did not need to worry about Depth of Field, I used ISO 8000 to take these images so that the looked as near to what my eyes saw in the UV light






I wasn't able to speak to the artist who produced these pieces but I thought I saw influences from the Purple Ronnie cards that most of us have seen in card shops. Interestingly thought had gone into wall area that displayed these pieces and using the black and white vertical stripes added for me a sense of quirkiness that I also saw in the drawings





Again this artist has creative skills to create the background on which to place her images and whilst it may not be clear from the image below its a real physical brief case attached to the display wall bottom left of the image:





The use of the physical 3D images contrasts well with the two dimensional drawings and this seems to me to be an interesting way perhaps in the future should I plan to choose to exhibit some of my images. The artist's display captured in the image below showed great thought toward this aspect and the use of monotone with some coloured pieces worked very well:




Here the artist has created an interesting piece combining art and costume and the framed images either side are of her wearing the artwork:





Its not completely apparent from images what the artist has done here but by creating and combining multiple pieces of carved wood suspended from the ceiling in a very 3 dimensional way shining light on to the pieces of wood when combined created a 2D shadow picture of the artist himself. Next to his work the artist had a learning log which I read that confirmed his ideas, influences, design and production of this art piece which included images. It was very thought provoking and a great example of painting with light






The following I found very interesting where the artist created a crime scene and used mono photographs to depict elements within the crime scene, many of which were adult themed. This was within a very small room with the images displayed on three walls.




I thoroughly enjoyed this exhibition and whilst it compassed the create arts rather than being specifically photographic I felt I have taken much inspiration and ideas and it will be interesting to see how I can embrace this in my photography. I think one of the key elements I learnt was how to take an idea and continue to progress it, sometimes knowing where you want to go and sometimes not. I think this experiment ism and risk taking is something I need to embrace in my photography.

Whilst I've not been able to include examples of all the work I have tried to include a good diverse collection and I thank the students for inviting me to the exhibition and congratulate them on their achievements, it was very inspiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment