Friday 25 April 2014

DPP Part 3 - Processing the Image - Exercise 2 Managing Tone

DPP Part 3 - Processing the Image - Exercise 2 Managing Tone

The introduction to this section mentions viewing conditions of images are important. I know use a Colormunki Display for my Liyama monitor. In addition to regularly configuring my screen it also measures the LUX within the room and adjusts the monitor brightness accordingly.

I note from a OCA bulletin from Clive White that most students have their monitors / screen brightness too high. I do recall after my first configuration with the Colormunki that my screen appeared darker than how I had set it up.

I am using a RAW file for this exercise using Adobe CS6 which I am fortunate to be able to get at a student price as I am an OCA student. I will process this file per the exercise.

Opening the RAW file this is my starting position:


With shadow and highlight clipping on I see there is some over exposed elements on the white top my other half is wearing. I've adjusted the exposure slider to eliminate the highlight clipping from the image with the exception of the lamp mid right.

I've adjusted the shadows slider to bring out some of the lost detail around the beam and the Hulk's hair. I've adjusted black's slider to the point shadow clipping is just about to start.

Though this is a RAW file I note the RAW convertor opens this image as shot and the WB is already correctly set as amended the WB preset to Flash appears to make no difference to the image.

I've adjusted the saturation very slightly to bring out the Hulk's green colour which appeared in the image slightly washed out by the flash

I've adjusted the contrast to further bring the beams which appear lost in the shadows above the Hulk.

I've finally sharpened the image slightly.

This image is post RAW processing changes:




Exercise Learning's

a) Outside of the obvious required changes around exposure and white balance then all other changes are down to what the Photographer is trying to achieve and what he/she feels is the correct rendition of the image, will the image get enhanced or will be simply adjusted to reflect the photographer's visual recording of the scene with his / her eyes

b) The RAW file remains unchanged and the changes made by the RAW converter should be saved, I save these as a PSD file as this is a lossless format. I resize the image and save as a small jpeg for the purpose of my blog





No comments:

Post a Comment