Monday 14 January 2013

Infrared Photography

Infrared Photography

I have a Nikon D70 that has been converted to infra-red and has a 680nm IR filter.

Whilst this camera can be used to great effect on hot sunny days seeing a cloudy sky with clouds back lit by a setting sun in January made for an interesting image as seen by the eye.

However given that I'm working my way through the Colour exercises I thought I would have a quick experiment with the IR camera. Ideally the images should have been taken on a tripod but the light appeared to be changing quickly so they were taken hand held outside my front door and it was also raining.....it was just an experiment after all

Image 1


This is the in camera processed jpeg. For infra-red photography its normal to set the white balance differently to an ordinary camera. This I have done in the past using sunlit green grass rather than am 18%  grey card



Image 2


This is the same image but in this case this is RAW and will exactly what the sensor captures with no White Balance adjustments made, either by the camera or myself



Image 3


This is also the same image, its the RAW file as per Image 2 above and here, though making no white balance adjustments I've switched the red and blue channels, a common technique used for processing IR images.

Image 4


This is image 3 converted to mono

So 4 IR images exactly the same but with different colours creating a different feel in each image. I really like the cloud structure that the camera has captured and the very simple processing changes demonstrate this in different ways

I intend to experiment further with infra-red photography and if possible I would like to include some images as part of one of my exercises or assignments.

Let me know what you think and if perhaps you have also experimented with iR photography

No comments:

Post a Comment