Sunday 9 December 2012

TAOP Part 2 - Exercise 8 - Rhythm and Patterns

TAOP Part 2 - Exercise 8 - Rhythm and Patterns

This purpose of this exercise is to produce at least 2 images where one needs to convey rhythm and the other pattern


Rhythm

The word rhythm is based upon the Greek word "rythmos" and has rough translation relating to tempo. In photography I interpret this to mean balanced repetition and flowing movement

When in London I was drawn to the Shell Oil building and the rhythm of the windows and my initial photograph captured this below but I had not spent any time thinking about the composition and you can see have part of the flag (top right) which is distracting and the top of another building (bottom).


In my subsequent images I've zoomed in slightly to remove the edges of the building and therefore disguise this from the viewer as being a building. This then allows the rhythm of the building's windows to become more apparent within the image


This image also captures a set of windows capturing light reflecting off the glass, the pairs of windows in the stair tower to the left of the building and also black air vents toward the bottom of the image. Each of these being similar  but within an overall rhythm of windows can appear to be a small change in "tempo" within the whole rhythm of the building's windows. I've kept the angle of the camera like this to avoid a face on image which with the straight horizontal lines of the windows would have created a static image


Pattern

Pattern in photography uses elements such as lines, shapes, tones or colour etc that are repeated to create interesting images. Techniques can be used to either emphasise the pattern or to disrupt the pattern. Whilst its not always practical to always have your camera with you on this occasion I did just that when driving and was instantly drawn to this house and had to stop and walk back to photograph it. The attraction of this image was the pattern and repetition of the steel staircase on the outside of the building which because it was painted white contrasted well against the dark building.

My first image was taken zoomed in on the staircase so that this and its pattern became the sole focus of the image, see below


However, as I have started to do more I have taken multiple images varying angle and zoom so that despite my initial idea and views of what I wanted to create in the frame taking more images I could re-assess which I thought best. I was glad that I had taken a number of images and several of which were to include the staircase against the full size of the building within the frame so that it gave context to the image and that the pattern of the white metal framework's zig-zag was more apparent as being part of the building and the eye was more inclined to follow this pattern of movement up the side of the building. It will be interesting to hear which people prefer but for the second image I feel worked better.





Exercise Learning's

a) The word rhythm is based upon the Greek word "rythmos" and has rough translation relating to tempo. This can be interpreted within photography and care needs to be given to the composition of the image so that whilst rhythm can be seen, like the tempo in music use of diagonal or curving lines can also be used to help create movement or perhaps the flow of the tempo being created

b) Pattern in photography uses elements such as lines, shapes, tones or colour etc that are repeated to create interesting images. Techniques can be used to either emphasise the pattern or to disrupt the pattern. It is the photographer's visualisation of the image he wants to create which can enable these elements of pattern to be the focus within the image

c) This exercise together with those already undertaken as part of this element of the course has really, really opened my eyes to observe shapes, lines, curves, triangles, rhythms and patterns in every day observations. What I have learnt is how to try to incorporate these elements within an image to improve the overall composition. I hope to be able to incorporate these elements in future image composition or at worst at critique my images to understand how I can / could improve them and where possible retake the scene I have captured and compare them

d) I feel I am beginning to understand better why some images appear more interesting or better to me than others e.g. I know image 1 is better than image 2 but I've not fully understood why. This element of the course has started to enable this and I feel so much improved both as a photographer and an observer of photography with this information




No comments:

Post a Comment