Sunday 7 October 2012

TAOP Part 2 - Exercise 5 Curves (Lines)

TAOP Part 2 - Exercise 5 Curves (Lines)

For this exercise I'm creating 4 images of curves.

Image 1


I've centrally placed the mini roundabout in the frame to allow the curved brick edging to dominate the image. The directional arrow signs on the roundabout help to create movement and flow a round the roundabout. In addition to the roundabout itself the are additional curves to found in the road signs.


Image 2


This image was taken through a shop window. The concentric circles in the layers of the cake are shown from this position as a series of curves climbing higher with each layer of the cake.The curves are further emphasised with the ribbon around each layer. I liked the potential of the image especially with the 3 cakes at the front which contrast with the larger cake and give a sense of size. Had the shop have been open I may have gone in and discreetly moved the distracting items top left of image.


Image 3

 
The unopened petals of a lily display the subtle and gentle curves and encourage the eyes to move around its shape which contrasts against the background. I've also used the diagonal lean of the flower to create the diagonal line and further add a dynamic element to the whole of the image.
 
 
 
Image 4
 
 
A little more obvious than the first three images here with the curves of the clocks outer casing, glass and dial and the curves on the majority of numbers of the clock's face. When cropping this image I've not cropped to leave the clock central as I may have done but off set this from the centre. I've used the right hand edge of the cupboard's diagonal line as a lead in line toward the clock...well I cheated a bit and moved the clock to the side to use this.
 
 
Exercise Learning's
 
a) I found curves harder to find than lines I used in previous exercises. I think this was because I was looking for actual lines where perhaps I should have considered implied curves
 
b) I could have and should experimented with my 20mm UWA lens as this can create curves from straight lines for very interesting effects
 
c) I think with more imagination I could have waited for curves to appear, perhaps in people or moving objects rather than looking for curves in static objects
 
d) Curves in images appear to give a graceful sense of movement within a static image and depending on how they are used, just like horizontal, vertical and diagonal they can be used to draw the viewer's eye through an image


No comments:

Post a Comment